Just Another Radically Visual Isometric Shape

Posts made in December, 2014

The Tooth Hurts

Posted by on Dec 2, 2014 in Medical Malpractice | 0 comments

Remember how terrified you were to go to the dentist, and how much horror you saw in that drill? Apparently, you may have been justified in your fears.

Medical malpractice is most closely associated with hospitals and medical doctors, but the same types of negligent acts occur in dental practice. Because dental work is typically outpatient doesn’t mean that no serious harm can occur. According to the Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® website, dental malpractice typically takes the form of failure to diagnose oral disease, improper use of dental tools, instalment of defective dental appliances, infliction of unnecessary injury to bone or tissue in the mouth, and improper use of anesthetics.

The most common cases of dental malpractice is poorly executed dental work, particularly cosmetic procedures such as bleaching, veneers , crowns and jackets. These elective procedures can be carried out by general practitioners because US law does not regulate cosmetic dentistry. In other words, it is not a specialty. However, there are a lot of dentists who are not able to perform these procedures properly, or who use substandard materials that end in undesirable results.

The worse thing is when the dentist is incompetent and does more harm than good when attempting these procedures. There is the risk of infection, overpreparing of the tooth, gum problems, and exacerbated temporomandibular joint (TMJ) conditions.

A recent case was that of a famous singer who, upon the advice of her dentist, submitted to having veneers placed on several teeth in the belief that it would help alleviate her chronic jaw pain problem. Instead, the treatments were a disaster and made her jaw pain worse, keeping her from practicing her profession over a considerable period. She sued her dentist for medical malpractice.

You can do the same if you have suffered serious preventable injury in the hands of your dentist. Consult with a dental malpractice lawyer in your area for more information about getting compensation for it.

Read More